Monday, July 16, 2012

Thoughts on Because Writing Matters discussion

Anytime I read a great book about teaching, or read an inspiring article, full of great, big ideas, and I get excited and full of thoughts of “Yes! This sounds awesome” I immediately ask the question “Great, but what can I actually do with this?”. Far too often, I find that teaching philosophers and “big idea” people are unconcerned with the practical, day-to-day application of what they are actually saying. Now, for sure, I would much rather read big, inspiring, far reaching teaching philosophy than books of canned lesson plans and courses, but there has to be a balance. For me, finding that balance is all about breaking the big abstract ideas into manageable chunks. I’m typically not good at this, which is why that part of me gets so frustrated when people are so unconcerned with practical application. I don’t feel I’m good enough at going from big ideas to useful lessons.

1 comment:

  1. James,
    I struggle with this and the other issues you have written about in your posts. The single most useful activity for me in that struggle has been my involvement with Seven Valley's since 2009. In fact, everything I had the courage to try in my classrooms that I learned by associating with 7vwp TCs was not merely useful, but often spectacularly successful.

    But it's not been an abstract intellectual linear process for me. I infer from your posts that you might sense that. Rather, as you watch thoughtful teachers, your heart begins to feel the usefulness of what you read, hear and see, and brings your head along to figure out how you could apply what you learn to help students learn the basics, practice the skills, and begin to use their learning to help themselves do whatever it is you want them to do. Then you try stuff, and react to what goes on with students.

    I want to (simply) encourage you that NWP-based approaches have worked for me, very steadily, if very slowly. Keep doing the reading, writing, listening and sharing with trusted colleagues. Keep asking the "what can I actually do with this?" questions. Recognize and appreciate the fact that the standards industry is a couple years behind in CTE, and so you've some time to season and simmer your learning. Then figure out ways to have students use writing to learn.

    Sounds easy when you try to write it coherently. It ain't of course.

    See you tomorrow.

    Jerry Masters
    TC 2009

    ReplyDelete